Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Training Week 1 (Sunday 9th January).

Well first week of training is over, which is a great start to the New Year - Monday 4 mile jog, Tuesday 2 hr hike up the Paps of Anu in Kerry, Wednesday 5½ mile jog, Thursday 1 hr weights, Friday 2½ hr hike up Guagán Barra, Saturday 5½ mile jog and ½ hr weights, while on Sunday I did a 3 hr hike up Mangerton mountain in Kerry. The legs are fairly well stretched-out from the strolls up the mountains, so hopefully by the end of the month I will be set to do my first long run. I am working on a training program which will begin at the start of February and which will run in three stages till October the 31st. I estimate my marathon time at present would be close to 4 hrs, so with the right training program I hope to be able to knock 10 minutes off my times each month, to achieve a sub 2.30 in Dublin. The first 30 minutes should be the easiest to shave off, and with a steady training campaign I should come close to a sub 3 hr within 5 or 6 months. The last 30 mins will be down to sheer determination and focusing on speed work, which really begs the question, can an average runner become elite in such a short period. For those who are new to marathons or athletics in general, a 3.30 marathon would put me in the top 20% of marathon runners, a 3.00 marathon the top 2 % and a 2.30 marathon into the top .05%. At least my enthusiasm is high, whether my commitment to training can match that, and see if I can achieve my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment