Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ankle injury - a slight hiccup

Well picked up a serious enough injury Monday at the end of a 10 mile run. I went down on the side of my ankle inflicting a bad sprain. Got it x-rayed and lukily no broken bones, but its likely there is some damage to the ligaments. Uncertain how much this will set back my training, as it will take anywhere from a week to six weeks to heal, and then I’ll have to regain strength in it. I have it in my mind that I still aim to run the Wicklow Way Ultra on the 26th of March, so if I could get in a single long run of 22/24 miles before then, my body should be able for the endurance. That all depends now on the ankle healing! I will still push ahead with my training program and now concentrate on core-training and weights for the next two weeks, and then review things. I will look also at what leg exercises I can do that don’t involve pressure on the ankle, and will do plenty of stretches. There is a few sharp shooting pains and stabbing sensations in the ankle, but the fact I can walk on it looks promising. While an injury is never good, at least it is at the start of the training program. I won’t let this hiccup stand in the way of my goal, and still aim to push ahead to achieve a sub 2.30 in the Dublin marathon. Even if I lose 3 months of proper training because of this injury, it would still leave me only 10 minutes short of the intended goal (all going well). I’ll find a way to make up that ten minutes some way or another. The main thing is to remain positive and believe I can achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment