Monday, February 21, 2011

Training Week 7 (Sunday 20th February)

Monday: 1 hr leg exercise; ½ weights
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: 2 mile jog; 1 hr weights & exercise
Friday: 1 hr weights
Saturday: 1 hr cycle

Sunday: rest

My ankle seems to have improved greatly. I took Tues and Wed off training so I could try a short jog Thurs, and while there was a great deal of internal pain, there is also improvement. All going well I’ll be back doing short jogs properly this coming week; and will slowly increase the length and speed of the jogs, as the muscle tissue builds back up. The cycle on Saturday went very well, and there was no increased pain around the Achilles tendon, so hopefully, I will be able to add around 4 hours cycling to my weekly training program for the next month. That should give me some bit of a decent cardio workout. I also hope to get at least one 3 hr session in the gym each week over the next month (1 hr cross-trainer; 1 hr cycle; ½ rowing machine; ½ hill climber), to make up for missing out on the long-slow-runs. That should be a good substitute workout for building up endurance for the Ultra. I also hope to get in two strolls up the mountains for a few hours in the next month, just to build up the leg muscles a little; and while it wouldn’t really reflect the exertion of energy needed for running up a mountain, it will certainly be helpful for testing the ankle. I still remain optimistic that I will be able to do the Ultra, and with a little luck I’ll only be a month behind in terms of race preparation for the Dublin Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment